July 8, 2014
Alcatel-Lucent and UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones de Colombia built the first 100 gigabits per second network in the country to meet the growing demand for ultra-broadband access from both fixed line customers and mobile line customers in urban areas.
UNE has already deployed the Alcatel-Lucent 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) platform as part of a network transformation aimed at supporting the growing demand for Broadband Internet services in Colombia. This project is aligned with the national government’s objectives of closing the digital divide and with its implementation it aims at the growth of the Internet in the country.
- Alcatel-Lucent is supplying UNE with its Photonic Service Switch (1830PSS) family of products, supporting 100G and offering exceptional capacity and speed when transporting large amounts of data over long distances, while simplifying operations and reducing costs.
- The deployment of the network has been divided into phases: the first phase was deployed in December 2013 and phases two and three were completed in June 2014. With the implementation carried out, the streaming traffic of the World Cup is being carried over the Internet. , for UNE clients.
- The DWDM / OTN network will be implemented through the main fiber rings in the national backbone of Colombia to connect the submarine landing points in Cartagena, Barranquilla and Tolú with the main capitals, including Bogotá, Medellín, Bucaramanga, Cúcuta, Cali , Ibagué, Neiva and Popayán.
- The network has 8.8 Tbit / s capacity, which means that it will be able to carry the huge projected demands of Colombian individuals and companies for Internet access, 4G LTE connectivity, television services, data center connectivity. , as well as the incorporation of new services, in the immediate future.
- 64 percent of Colombians currently have access to the Internet, with a quarter of people accessing through mobile devices such as tablets and Smartphones.
- The objective of the government in Colombia, with the Live Digital Plan, was to reach 8.8 million Internet connections in 2014 and currently it has already exceeded 6.6 million. This means that the growth of Internet connections in the country has been 200 percent.
[+] Videos de nuestro canal de YouTube